- To produce a newsstand-quality magazine that Sainsbury’s can sell to customers; one that focuses on enhancing the supermarket’s foodie credentials.
- A magazine that delivers food and recipe content that consistently inspires, finger-on-the pulse news and trends that will challenge and inform, as well as aspirational lifestyle content to help readers enhance their lives.
- To build on the magazine brand with a unique digital proposition and email newsletter and to establish a relationship with Sainsbury’s customers who are confident cooks with a series of exclusive food events.
A glossy, monthly food and lifestyle magazine that outsells any other food title (consumer) on the newsstand. The content targets confident cooks with first-class contributors, including the best-known chefs and provides triple-tested recipes guaranteed to work every time. Staffed with a crack in-house team of recipe writers and home economists and top lifestyle writers and contributors, the team creates a title that reflects the varied lifestyle interests of the target audience.
The magazine is complemented by www.sainsburysmagazine.co.uk, a unique entertaining website full of menus and recipes from top chefs and recipe writers and a weekly newsletter targeting customers seeking recipe inspiration.
The editorial and marketing teams work together to offer one-of-a-kind, money-can't-buy experiences for the readership. The ‘Come Dine With Us’ events are one-off dining experiences at special-deal prices at some of the UK's top restaurants. The ‘Meet and Eat’ events offer readers the opportunity to meet some of their food heroes - Rick Stein, Theo Randall, Jo Wheatley, Shelina Permalloo and more - and watch demos, taste their food, engage in Q&As and immerse themselves in cookery drama.
"We're proud of our own-brand food, its quality and the part our suppliers play in delivering it to our customers, and Sainsbury's magazine reflects this. It's second to none for inspiring recipes, and trends and tips that help our customers stay confident in the kitchen. It's a unique proposition in the marketplace and continues to deliver results that set it apart from the competition."
Marc Cudd, Content Marketing Manager, Sainsbury's
- It's the ONLY title in its immediate competitor set to register an ABC increase both PoP and YoY
- 98% of magazine copies continue to be purchased through the newsstand and subscriptions
- Subscriptions are currently up 23% YoY (the highest level ever).
- More readers than any other monthly paid for glossy title
- 3,111,000 people read the magazine during the past year
- Successful targeting; 72% of readers are female, 60% ABC1, 32% AB, average age is 46
- 82% of readers are confident cooks.
An engaged audience (2014 reader survey)
- 96% say they use the magazine as a source of new recipes
- 97% rated the magazine as good or very good
- 90% think the magazine recipes are great
- 93% have gone on to cook one of the recipes
- 1 million page views per month
- 80,000 unique users per month
- Average 8 pages per visit
- 2.5 minutes average time on site
- 40% return visitors
- 32,000 magazine readers receive our newsletter every week. The 30% open rate and 35% click through rate are way above the industry average and prove its appeal.
Substantial Revenue (source - NMR Aug 13 - Jul 14)
- 200,000+ copies are sold every month contributing over £4.2 million in annual circulation revenue to Sainsbury's. This is a ROI of £20.57 for every £1 spent on the title
- Ad revenue yield per thousand circulation is in the top 10 of all UK print media
- Highest share of food and drink market in UK
According to sales uplift analysis (Aimia's Nectar data) the magazine delivers £32.7 million of incremental sales to Sainsbury's per annum. Examples include:
- February 2014 issue; soup recipe featuring a 110g pack of ham hock. 2908 customers bought the magazine and the ham hock during the on sale period, doubling the sales of ham hock from the previous month
- March 2014 issue; lamb tagine featuring ras el hanout. 1326 customers bought the magazine and the ras el hanout in the on sale period, increasing the sales of the spice by 100%.
Agency Website: www.seven.co.uk
« Previous case study
Next case study »